Thursday, August 24, 2006

The Lemonheads













Before I begin the writeup I'd like to say that I know this is a leaked unreleased track (purposeful or not.) I'm not the first to post this incredible new song and it will probably be flooding the music blogosphere soon enough. The song was so good, and such a surprise, I had to jump on the bandwagon this time. The official Lemonheads website acknowledges this and even points readers in the direction to find it. With that said, I loved The Lemonheads during the mid to late 80's. I followed them closely and still have a few of the first cassette tapes. Hate Your Friends and Creator were favorites and I can still remember driving around in a car full of empty beer cans and High School friends screaming at the top of our lungs "THERES NO SUCH THING AS A SECOND CHANCE". (I am well aware Evan didn't sing that one) Those were great days. I usually don't pay much attention to the bands that reunite from back then. I figure the new craze of reunions are geared more towards the younger generation that didn't get the chance to experience the music first time around. It's a good deal, but this band is a bit different. With all of the lineup changes over the years, it really is refreshing and notable that Evan Dando can bring this sound back for us. I can only hope this isn't a one time thing.













If the guitars sound a bit too familiar, it might be because Dinosaur Jr. front man J. Mascis is lending his signature sound for accompaniment. If you'd have asked me 20 years ago if I wanted to hear a song in which these two musicians performed together, I might have let you cut off one of my fingers to make it so. Well... now we all get to hear it and, as a bonus, I get to keep my precious digits. Bill Stevenson (drums and production) as well as Karl Alvarez (bass) both of Descendents/ALL fame round out the recording of this new release. The funny thing is, at a few points in the song you almost think Evan is fronting Dinosaur Jr. but In a quick second you once again feel like you've been transported back to the land of Taang Records. If you visit The Lemonheads MySpace you might think it is just a fan page but guess again. I checked and it's the real deal. The new CD will be released September 26th. You can pre-order through Vagrant Records right this moment if you wish. Oh and one more thing for you 30somethings... "RAT VELVET!!!"

(HEY... I found an old ticket stub from 14 years ago. I keep them in a little shoebox and will be bringing more of them out to share soon. xoxo Casey)















MP3: No Backbone

No comments: