Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Anna Leong
















Since moving into my new apartment, I've had the chance to go through several boxes of old CD's and cassette tapes. One gem I found was the 1992 release "Horseshoes and Handgrenades" by former Replacements drummer Chris Mars. It was a favorite in my college days and still sounds completely relevant 15 years later. I've been listening to it quite a bit, so when I heard today's featured Swedish band I made a slight comparison. Just so you can hear the similarities, I've added a classic Chris Mars track as a bonus. Today's song was originally posted on the Swedish music news/mail order giant It's a Trap the other day and when I saw the release date for the new album I had to feature it here for you... Yes, today is the day you can purchase it. I'm not going to try to explain further what you can probably already hear for yourself. This one gets high recommendations for sure.



























Anna Leong is an indie rock quartet featuring Jonas Bergsten, Erik Hörnsten, Daniel Nylén and Filip Sundberg from the northern area of Umeå, Västerbotten Sweden. They formed as a band in 2003 and now have a brand new (as in today, Jan. 31st) full length release titled After the Forest Fire on the band's very own label White Weekend.. The CD release party takes place tonght 1/31 at local venue Scharinska (60 SEK). The Anna Leong website is not yet fully available so make sure to check out the Anna Leong MySpace for more music and information. You will hear plenty more about this band in the near future. Great music.

MP3: They Will Know Us
Bonus MP3: Chris Mars - Reverse Status (1992)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I got this album when it was released and it has been my favourite album so far this year. Great songwriting performed by great musicians and the vocals by Jonas Bergsten is extremly good.