Thursday, February 08, 2007

Cuckoo Canoe













So I get home to my building from the office at the end of last week and checked the post box. I have to say, there's nothing like a bubble wrapped envelope with the return address listed as Brooklyn, New York to make me smile after a rough day. By the time I made it up the elevator and doors were opening to my floor, the package was already unwrapped, CD case open with me inspecting the contents. After a few listens, I had to contact Michelle for some input as to which song we should feature. Most of the tracks were sent back and forth via MSN Messenger and we finally settled on what you are listening to. I do have to say... the balance of music contained on the disk I received from this band is equally solid. The vocals are especially fantastic and, besides the driving guitar, are probably what makes this track a standout for me.















Cuckoo Canoe is the trio of Josh Iden (vocals, guitar), Mike Cohen (bass), and Patrick Wood (drums, vocals) from Brooklyn, New York. The band was formed almost exactly one year ago in February 2006 when Josh's previous band, The Pop Wheelies, called it quits. The song featured here today is part of Cuckoo Canoe's yet to be released full length debut titled Basketball Freedom Overdrive. It was recorded in both Manhattan and rural New York locations over this past summer and was eventually mastered during the latter part of December 2006. After a few emails with Josh I learned something that impressed me. He mentioned the songs were recorded with minimal mics and rudimentary equipment so I was originally wondering how the quality could be so good. I soon learned that accomplished studio engineer Bryce Goggin (Lemonheads, Pavement and my old favorite Alice Donut) was responsible for mixing duties. Basketball Freedom Overdrive will be self-released in May 2007 unless ongoing talks with a few labels produce anything in the meantime. If you would like to hear more from the album, check out the Cuckoo Canoe MySpace page and add on as a friend while you are there. The Cuckoo Canoe website is currently a work in progress and the band really doesn't have much in the way of photos for now sooo... I decided to invert colors on the logo seen below to make them look like a cool Reggae Band. I'm liking this for sure.

MP3: Aderol

No comments: